I’m so happy to have wandered into Podium this weekend. On their 2nd floor, they had on display probably 40 dolls modeling teeny tiny Filipino designer dresses. Barbie heaven.

Rajo Laurel
Ivarluski Aseron

Dress by Pepito Albert / Jewels by Hans Brumann

Louis Claparols

At one point in my life, I had 15  Barbies so you can imagine I went gaga.  These lovely ladies are being auctioned off by Ballet Philippines to raise funds for their performances. Kudos to the Filipino designers who helped!



I can't help but see Carrie, (Blonde) Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha.

I remember how I would love dressing them up and putting them in my own telenovela type stories. I remember how the older, scraggly-haired Barbies ended up being the kontrabidas while the new fair-haired Barbies would be the stars. These Goth girls would make fabulous kontrabidas!

  Cesar Gaupo, Jerome Lorico (Last 2)

I wonder now how I would have reacted if I had seen these lovely beauties when I was at that age. I would have totally freaked. I’d probably throw a tantrum for this one. I love purple.
Joel Escober

I asked the person manning the exhibit which one raised the most moolah and he pointed to this.
Pitoy Moreno

It’s Barbie dressed in a Pitoy Moreno original bridal gown. Pitoy Moreno is a National Artist for Fashion Design,  Hailed as the "The Fashion Czar Of Asia" for taking Filipino fashion to the next level, he also introduced native fabrics like Jusi, Pinya, and Lepanto to Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, and other international publications. It sold for a whopping P150,000. That’s as much as a life-sized designer wedding dress nowadays. Imagine this little thing fetching that much.



But if I had the money, I’d get it. It’s everything I love: It’s a designer dress, it's made by a national artist, it’s a toy, and it's Pinoy! The only thing I don’t love is the trashy looking Barbie that’s modeling it. I don’t mind the blonde hair but that makeup is way tacky.


I think some of the dolls are still for sale at http://www.stylebible.ph/