I stumbled upon this video from my Twitter feed. It seems like a lot more people out there are clamoring for changes. Good to know the momentum is building. For the longest time, I've felt that there is something monumental on the way, a paving of the roads for a better and brighter Philippines. Team Manila said it in this shirt-- the first thing I ever bought from them.


Manila Renaissance Movement

There is a current running through particular individuals and certain groups. This electricity possesses them to ask questions like, "Why do a majority of Filipinos want to leave the country?", "Why can't we be the no. 1 tourist destination in Southeast Asia?" or "Why do we keep getting lame politicians to run our beautiful country?"

Recently, the big question for me is, "Why have our noontime shows looked the same since the 1980s?". After the whole Willie Janjan Macho Dancing Debacle, the real issue for me is not that they put a kid on to dance lewdly for money. It's the fact that it is tolerated and even enjoyed. This is the norm for our television viewing public.

I was disturbed to hear the opinions of my neighbor. She's a well-meaning housewife, who despite knowing the wrongness of the situation sided with Willie. She said, "He still gives the most money amongst all of them!". I wanted to say, "Yes po, he does. But that's not his money. Moreover, that show perpetuates the idea that you can get rich quick by sharing your sad story, making fun of your flaws, or worse sending your child to gyrate for laughs."

Where's our pride?

That's why I'm happy to see videos like the one from Meeting of the Minds Manila. It shows that the current is running wild in a lot of people. Fueled by their experiences and their desire to make a difference, they band together.  And when they do, you can feel fireworks in the room. It reminds me of the Mabuhay Guides and how when we first got together, we were stunned to realize just how many of us wanted the same thing for the Philippines. This video gave me hope.

With that I also have to applaud efforts from individuals such as Monique Wilson who is calling all artists to support better programming in lieu of the Willing Willie debacle. I'm proud of influencers like Emily Abrera who retired an advertising legend but remains active on issues such as these.

Everywhere, I see pockets of hope--people coming together and finding common ground to spark a change. It's uplifting. People feel something amazing is on the way. They feel that way because they want it badly. They see the potential of the country and they're asking why it can't be.

Now it's time to ask yourself, "Do you feel it? Are you part of this?"



For the Fallen / A Poem by Ruby Veridiano from Arriane Serafico on Vimeo.